I have just spent two days at the inaugural European Enterprise Search Summit in London, and left with much to think and rant about. For I listened to a series of consultants and vendors telling the audience that enterprise search was an imperative, and (this was brought up in some form by almost everyone in some form or other) that according to IDC 20% of the working week is spent finding information, ergo reduce that 20% to 5% using Enterprise Search and then we will have World Peace.
In short the business case for Enterprise Search made at the event boiled down to a series of hackneyed statements, that can be summarized as follows:
I'm sure you get the drift, and like most potential buyers of Enterprise Search technology, you don't believe a word of it, nor should you. It's naive nonsense. End users may indeed spend time looking for things, but what they might actually do with any time saved is as much your guess as mine. Moreover, and more importantly, I don't know about you but if I do spend 20% of my week looking for information, it is by using a Search Engine -- and has been for over a decade now. As for that pending lawsuit, the reality is most organizations would rather not know exactly what is lurking on their network, thank you very much.
The Search pitch is further weakened by the argument that there is no point in cleaning up your dirty data. The line goes like this: Why bother actually trying to manage information at all? It's only going to get into a mess again, and anyway a Search engine can work with whatever you throw at it! Again this is nonsense as everyone in the Search industry knows full well that bad data equals bad search results, and that this simple fact will never change. Put this altogether and it's not really all that surprising that Enterprise Search is stuck in a deep rut that it doesn't know how to get out of. The best it seems to be able to come up with right now is to not to call it Enterprise Search at all, and instead fob it off as some kind of exotic analytical engine, or even as an "SBA" because nonsense acronyms will fool anyone.....
The bottom line is, in the words of conference Chairman and friend Martin White, "Fundamentally, we have an information management problem." Indeed we have, until organizations start to manage unstructured data with the same care they do structured data, we will continue to have a problem. The fact that we have a problem should hardly come as a surprise for where an organization will employ a veritable army of Database Administrators to manage the 20% of their data that is structured, they will employ almost no-one to manage the remaining 80%. That amounts to a huge volume of bad data.
Search has a role to play, and a very important one at that. But until the Search industry itself starts to come clean about just how difficult and expensive Search is to leverage, and how much it is dependent on other factors outside of its control, it's role and value will always be minimalized. Buyers are right to be dismissive of widely optimistic claims. Best to come clean I say.
Enterprise Search Evaluation Stream looks at... Coveo easier to install
"In general, CES is easier to install and run than the other platform or infrastructure vendors we cover; on the other end of the spectrum, it is also easier to get it to jump hoops that would require extensive work-arounds in a Google Appliance. For the IT administrator with other interests than just search alone, there is plenty of flexibility...."
Learn the real strengths and weaknesses of major Search vendors from around the world, in our Enterprise Search evaluation research stream.
Tags: Enterprise Search, European Marketplace, Selecting Technology, Content Analytics with Enterprise Search , Coveo G2B, dtSearch, Enterprise Search, FAST and Search 2010, Google Search Appliance, IDOL Server, Omniture SiteCatalyst, Oracle Endeca Information Access Platform, Secure Enterprise Search 11g
"The Search & Information Access Research is jammed full of great stuff..."
Lou Rosenfeld, Leading independent information architecture guru
Get the Real Story bi-weekly.
USA & Canada
+1 800 325 6190
+44 (0) 20 3318 1911
+1 617 340 6464
All Other Inquiries
All analyst firms claim to be independent or vendor-neutral. We're different.
Get the real story on commercial and open source tools from a firm that works only for you, the technology customer.
Thank you for signing up for The Real Story Group Newsletter. You will receive our monthly newsletter, plus updates with new information on the technology streams you have expressed interest in below.